Using Herbs to Help Treat Your Acne
Teens are not the only ones that get acne, there more adults out there than a lot of people might think. The reason for the acne, especially in adults is thought to be overactive sebaceous glands. This makes the pores on the face kind of sticky and then in turn this will trap all of the dirt and bacteria that gets on the skin. Although this is the most common belief, some alternative medicine specialists also believe that acne can be caused by the skin actually releasing different toxins when we sweat. Because of this some of these specialists will recommend that their patients use different herbs to help get rid of these toxins. Things like dandelion, yellow dock root and chaparral can help to fight acne. Below you will find a couple of different poultices that are thought to help treat acne.
- Using a Dried Herb Poultice
- Get some dried lavender, yellow rock root and chaparral from a place that sells these types of organic plants, or you can just grow them yourself, it's up to you.
- You will need a mortar and a pestle to take these herbs and grind them together. You will need to grind them down to a powder that can be mixed together easily.
- Next take the mixture and put it into a bowl and then begin adding a little bit of warm water to it until it starts turning into a nice thick paste.
- Now take this mixture an put it onto some gauze that is spread out onto a flat and clean surface.
- After you have done this you will need to make sure that you clean your face really good. A good thing to use is hydrogen peroxide.
- Take the gauze with your poultice and lay down while you make sure that your entire face is covered by the gauze.
- You will need to keep this on your face for at least one hour. While you are doing this, don't be surprise if your skin begins to throb. This is normal. What is happening is that the herbs are actually trying to draw out all of the toxins that are in your skin and even in your blood.
- Using a Fresh Herb Poultice
- With this you will need to get yourself some fresh lavender, chaparral and yellow rock root. Again you can find these at places that sell organic products. But as always, growing them yourself is probably the best way to go.
- Once you have these herbs you will need to take about two ounces of each herb and put them in a small saucepan and add one cup of water to the mixture.
- You will next let this mixture simmer for about two minutes.
- Again, take some gauze and lay it out on a flat and clean surface. Take the liquid herb mix and pour it onto the gauze.
- Make sure to wash your face really good before applying the gauze. As stated before, hydrogen peroxide works great for this.
- Take the poultice and put it over your entire face and lie down and relax with it on your face.
- This poultice works best when you also keep it on for at least one hour. When the throbbing stops, you will now that the treatment is done and you can remove the gauze from your face.
Even though these herbs are being used as a topical treatment, they still are not meant to be used for extended periods of time. So it is always advisable, even for acne treatment to use them for a short period of time.